When it comes to pies, we wholeheartedly believe the more the merrier! We whipped up some delicious pumpkin and berry pies the other day and we just had to share the recipes. These pies are easy to make and once you dig into them it's so hard to put your fork down. We’ve even done a “Pie-Off” before using these recipes. One of us made the pumpkin pie, the other made the berry pie, and we gathered up our family and friends to do a blind taste test. We found that people had a hard time deciding which one they liked best so we happily accepted a tie. It’s hard to feel competitive when you’re eating pie!
Creamy Pumpkin Pie Recipe:
- 1 8 z pkg. cream cheese softened
- 1 5 oz can Pumpkin Puree
- ½ of a 7 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup of butter- melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 Large Eggs
- 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pie crust
- Optional: whipped cream
- In a large bowl beat the cream cheese until it is fluffy, this usually takes about 5 minutes.
- Add in the sweetened condensed milk and pumpkin puree and continue to mix for 5 more minutes.
- Add in the vanilla extract and melted butter. Mix for 60 seconds.
- Add each egg in one at a time. Make sure to keep mixing after adding each one in.
- Add in the ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, powdered sugar and salt. Mix well!
- Place your (homemade or store bought!) pie crust into a pie pan. Some store bought versions come with the crust already in the pan!
- Pour the pie filling into the pie crust.
- Place the pie in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F and let it bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes have passed, lower the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking for about 45 more minutes. Keep an eye on the color of the crust- you don’t want it to brown too much!
- Once fully baked, take the pie out of the oven and move it to the fridge where it will need to cool for a couple of hours.
- Once cooled, go ahead and slice and serve!
Pumpkin pie pairs wonderfully with a whipped cream topping. We prefer homemade whipped cream, but sometimes store bought it all we have time for! If you’re feeling up to it, drop a dollop of whipped cream on to each slice. If you’re not, you can enjoy sans whipped cream too. We don’t judge!
Sweet Berry Pie Recipe
- 2 cups of blackberries
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 2 cups of raspberries
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
- 1 ⅓ cups of old fashioned oats
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- To create the filling add the berries, granulated sugar, all purpose flour, lemon juice, cornstarch, and vanilla extract into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine thoroughly and refrigerate.
- To create the topping you'll need to start by cubing your cold butter.
- In a new mixing bowl, add the old fashioned oats, all purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Combine thoroughly, adding in the butter as you go, allowing the cubes to break down into small pieces.
- Refrigerate once combined.
- Prepare your pie crust.
- Remove the filling from the fridge and pour it into your pie crust.
- Remove the topping from the fridge and sprinkle it on top of the filling until the filling is completely covered. It is okay if you have extra topping left over!
- Place the pie into a 400 degree oven and bake for a half hour.
- After 30 minutes, carefully remove the pie and cover it with tin foil.
- Place the pie back into the oven and continue baking for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, carefully remove the pie and tent the foil on top.
- Place the pie back into the oven and continue baking for 5 to 10 more minutes, checking on the crust color as you go to prevent browning.
- Once done baking, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for at least 2 hours.
- Once it has cooled, go ahead and slice and serve!
We love to enjoy a slice of this pie warmed up with a big ol' scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top! There is a delicious balance of warm and cool goodness in each bite.
If you end up having a "Pie-Off", we'd love to know which recipe wins! Leave us a comment sharing which one was the favorite of the two.
when you sign up for our S+S email list.