Christmas morning will be here any minute now so we wanted to share what we will be serving for breakfast while opening presents! This overnight french toast bake is not only delicious, but as a bonus is so easy to make! Christmas morning should be as stress free as possible, so give yourself the gift of a simple and delightful meal this year.
- 1 loaf of enriched bread (We used challah!)
1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup
Tip: It is best to work with bread that is slightly stale. We had fresh challah bread so we sliced it a day before assembling to allow it to air out a bit.
- Slice your bread into pieces that are at least 3/4 of an inch thick. (If not already pre-sliced!)
- In a large bowl, mix together the milk, heavy cream, light brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, making sure both sides are evenly coated. Tip: Leave each side in the mixture for at least 5 seconds to absorb.
- Lay each slice flat in the baking dish allowing them to overlap as needed.
- Pour the remaining mixture into the dish over the slices.
- Cover the dish and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, remove the dish from the fridge an hour before baking.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- After sitting out for an hour, remove the cover and place the dish in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove the dish from the oven and carefully tent with tin foil to avoid burning and drying out the top of the bread before placing it back in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 10-20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven when done baking and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- After cooling, sprinkle with powdered sugar and berries.
- Serve with warm maple syrup.
We hope you enjoy this delicious treat! How will you be spending your Christmas morning? Let us know by leaving a comment below!
when you sign up for our S+S email list.
This looks amazing! Can’t wait to make it this weekend hopefully!